North Nibley’s history goes back to the Iron Age, when a fort (Brackenbury Ditches) was constructed on the ridge above the village. The Roman villa at nearby Stancombe is evidence of the Roman occupation, and in the Middle Ages the last private battle in England was fought at Nibley Green. Victorian times saw the building of the Tyndale Monument at a time when it was thought that the translator of the full bible into English (William Tyndale) had been born in the village, and in more recent times Nibley House housed a WWII prisoner of War camp for Germans & Italians.
Our Historical Group was formed to promote an interest in local history within the community, by holding regular bi-monthly illustrated talks and taking on 2 major projects to bring together into one place existing fragmented photos, recollections and maps of the village and a survey of the churchyard graves and inscriptions for the benefit of future family history researchers.
Our latest achievements have been to bring back to St Martin’s church what we believe is the original bible purchased in 1765, and to fund the refurbishment of the Village School bell, originally sounded at the start and end of each session, morning and afternoon.
We hope you find our site interesting and possibly helpful.